How To Get a Smooth Glowing Skin?
A young skin is smooth and supple. This is mainly due to the collagen tissue in the skin that keeps the skin tight. Collagen is a protein with good water holding capacity, hence keeps the skin hydrated and soft. With aging, sun-exposure, stress, unhealthy life-style and food habits, the collagen tissue undergoes breakdown making the skin dull, irregular and wrinkled. Also damage to the collagen tissue by inflamed acne, can cause scars and depressions on the face. So it very important to take adequate precautions to protect the skin from these factors to maintain a smooth and glowing skin.
Tips to have a smooth, glowing and healthy skin
- Follow a good skin care regimen
- Cleanse your skin twice daily– Cleansing helps in removing dirt, excess oil, dead cells and the residual make up. Choose a suitable cleanser based on the type of skin. Cleansing more than twice a day is not recommended as it can remove the natural oils and disturb the barrier function of the skin.
- Apply a toner- Toner is usally recommended for oily, pimple-prone skin as it can remove the excess oil and dirt present on an oily skin. It also helps in balancing the pH of the skin.
- Moisturise your skin twice a day- Cleansing and toning may remove some amount of the essential oils and cause dryness. So, apply a good moisturizer which can replace the barrier function of the skin. Moisturiser may be in the form of a cream, lotion , gel or serum based on the type of the skin.
- Apply a sunscreen- Sunscreen protects the skin from the harmful effects of the UV- rays. Prolonged sun exposure may cause dullness, dark spots, fine lines and wrinkles on the skin. Hence, a broad spectrum sunscreen with both UV-A and UV-B protection is recommended
- Eat healthy – A healthy balanced diet is essential for a healthy, glowing skin.
- Diet rich in vitamin- C like citrus fruits, tomatoes, strawberries help in collagen building in the skin contributing to a glowing , smooth skin.
- Diet rich in vitamin A or beta- carotene like carrot, papaya increase the cell turn over and work as systemic sunscreens making the skin smooth and healthy.
- Foods containing essential fatty acids like walnuts or olive oil keeps the skin hydrated.
- A void hoods high in sugar and fats, as these may slow down the cell turn over and make the skin look dull and wrinkled.
- Drink plenty of water – Hydrating the skin from inside and out makes the skin firmer and fuller. Drinking atleast 2 litres or 8 glasses of water every day is recommended. Water rich fruits and vegetebales may also be added.
- Good sleep – Have a good sleep of 6 to 8 hours for a glowing skin. Sleep helps in cell turn over, collagen building and makes the skin plump and firm. Lack of sleep causes dark circles and puffiness.
- Exercise everyday – Exercises in the form of yoga, aerobics, zumba or any kind of workout will help in sweating your body, releases the toxins from your body and skin. Exercises improves the circulation to the skin and makes it healthier and glowing. Exercises along with meditation helps in reducing stress, adding on to the glow of the skin.